Painter of decorations, allegorical figure compositions and landscapes. Born 22 May 1886 at Tynemouth, Northumberland. Studied at Newlyn with Stanhope Forbes and at the Atelier Colarossi, Paris. Married the painter Dod Shaw 1912, exhibiting watercolours with her at the Fine Art Society 1913; they also exhibited at the Leicester Galleries. Exhibited with the International Society from 1916, member 1925, and at the R.A. from 1921, A.R.A. 1932; member of the N.E.A.C. 1929. With his wife, assisted by Burmese, Indian and Chinese craftsmen, decorated the Kokine Palace, Rangoon, Burma, for the Honourable Lim Ching Tsong 1920. Helped to decorate the Church of St Hilary, Marazion, Cornwall, and the Church of St Mary the Virgin, Penzance. Experimented with glazed and illuminated decorations which he called ‘diaphenicons’ and exhibited at the Leicester Galleries 1931. Lived mainly at Newlyn, Cornwall. Director of Studies in Design and Craft at the Glasgow School of Art 1934’5. Died 21 October 1935 at North Shields. Memorial exhibitions at the Leicester Galleries and the Laing Art Gallery, Newcastle, 1936.